In addition to the services it provides across a range of sectors, Universalia also offers specialized expertise within the following practices areas:
- Environment, Security and Conflict Transformation: This practice area aims to support organisations working in the field towards meeting their objectives. Firmly rooted in the international community’s vision of sustainability and peace, as articulated through the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), this practice reflects our multi-generational commitment to the pursuit of sustainable and equitable resource governance in conflict and post-conflict environments, advancing both human and environmental security. Universalia’s practice is anchored in our thematic and methodological expertise and leadership, drawing on diverse experts and national consultants from across the world.
- Gender Equality and Inclusion: This practice aims to contribute to transformative processes that advance gender equality, the empowerment and agency of women and girls with an intersectional lens. The practice supports clients in bringing about enabling environments that respect and protect human rights, and foster opportunities for inclusion and participation in economic, social, and political life for all groups of women, girls, boys, men, LGBTQI+ members, indigenous peoples, racial, ethnic, and religious minorities, migrants, refugees and displaced persons, and persons with disabilities, so that the benefits of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are accessible to all.
- Peace Building and Humanitarian Operations: This practice undertakes evaluation of peacebuilding projects that are designed to prevent the resumption of violent conflict or the consolidation of peace in a post-conflict setting, as well as the evaluation of humanitarian programmes undertaken by major humanitarian organizations such as UNHCR, UNICEF, OCHA and others. Peacebuilding projects can be varied, such as creating an environment supportive of durable peace, addressing underlying dynamics that foster or enable conflict, creating rule of law mechanisms, implementing DDR, transitional justice or reconciliation mechanisms, etc. Humanitarian evaluations use the new Humanitarian Action Evaluation principles and concentrate on major contemporary humanitarian crisis.
- Performance Measurement: This practice area develops, implements, and ensures the relevance of meaningful, timely and actionable information so that organizational leaders and members (our clients) can continually manage for improved results. Technical Assistance and training is delivered to support project design, logic models/ LFAs, work planning, the development of performance indicators and measurement strategies for internal monitoring and reporting. The practice is focused on international financial institutions, bilateral government donors and UN agencies delivering consulting services, capacity building activities, and monitoring to clients.
- Organization and Partnership Evaluation Practice (OPP): This practice area builds on Universalia’s work on Institutional and Organizational Assessment (IOA) to include the evaluation of a wider range of organizational structures. This includes networks and partnerships given the importance of such structures in the development architecture in light of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).